Pages

Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

#23-My hair journey

#23 on my list requires me to stop using chemical relaxer. I didn't really think that one out too well...I saw this (skip to the 5 min mark) and immediately decided that I would stop using it.

I've gone through so many hair colours and styles, and I thought rocking my hair natural would be easy breezy.

For the first few months of the year, I was fine because I wore weaves and I didn't need to chemically straighten my hair. Upon removing the weave, my hair was completely in its natural state. I thought it would be a new freeing experience for me. I haven't had my hair "natural" since the age of twelve. The moment I ran an afro-pic through it, memories of weekly torture sessions with my mother combing out my hair resurfaced.

I lasted  a total of 48hrs before I called my friend and asked her relax my hair for me. We decided that I should texturize my hair instead(texturizer is a milder form of relaxer, that loosens the curl pattern instead of completely straightening it.) Previously, I would relax my hair every 8 weeks on the dot. Now I texturize it once every 12 weeks, or longer.

I consider this one a fail because texturizer still contains sodium hydroxide. Its just milder. I'm slowly trying to wean myself off the creamy crack. It's just going to take longer than I thought...

No comments:

Post a Comment